Thursday, March 31, 2011

StayFocusd

Hey all you facebookers....

I just installed an app on my web browser (Google Chrome. If you don't use it, use it). It is called StayFocusd. Here is how it works

1) Set a time limit for the sites you probably should limit yourself on. For me, that is facebook,espn, and youtube.
---I am at 5 minutes

2) Stayfocusd runs in the background on your browser, and when you have viewed any of those sites for longer than five minutes... they get blocked! No more access until the next day.

3) You can enable an optional NUKE mode. This blocks the sites you don't want to go to during a certain time. For me, that is 9pm-12am. I literally cannot access any of the aforementioned sites after 9pm.

4)If you try to add more alotted time, you have to type in a 300 character paragraph WITHOUT TYPOS. One typo, and it shuts down again, and you have to start retyping. The paragraph reads something quite funny.... like "The procrastinator is often remarkably optimistic about his ability to complete a task on a tight deadline.... Lulled by a false sense of security, time passes. Suddenly, he realizes "Oh know! I am not in control. There isn't enough time"...

5)If you try to bypass your settings once you set them, it says "Woah there cowboy. You have to pass your challenge before you can increase your time. We will shut down now as you admit humiliating defeat".

I am more productive than ever. I don't waste time on the computer. In fact, the only reason I am blogging right now is because I can't access any of the sites I normally would, so blogging was the next best alternative. I don't waste time in class, I don't pull up basketball games during music concerts or other boring events, and I can focus!

StayFocusd! I support it! Cherish it!

5 comments:

  1. this sounds AWESOME. I will sign up. Craig says, the problem is that he has three browsers, although something can probably be done, right? :). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cliffie. I just found this other piece of free software for Macbooks called SelfControl. It applies to the computer as a whole so that all access to websites and/or email are blocked for a predetermined period of time. I am gonna check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have multiple browsers as well. There are tons of way to beat the system, but I am going to try and exercise some self control and stick to the regime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't you just use an egg timer?

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, an egg timer would work but you probably wouldn't do it! I like this--what a cool idea. Even without facebook, it's easy to waste time on the internet. Heck, I might even join facebook now if I can always have a limit! Thanks for sharing Cliff, this is something I would never have found on my own. And thanks for the nice birthday song today!

    ReplyDelete